THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a SURFACE MAINTENANCE MECHANIC LEADER (TEMPORARY PROMOTION NOT TO EXCEED ONE YEAR)(TITLE 32), Position Description Number D1287000 and is part of the VA G4, National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
As a Surface Maintenance Mechanic Leader (Title 32), WL-5801-10, you will perform the below duties:
(1) Leader Duties :a. Assigns work orders to specific crew members and selects workers for various jobs on the basis of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Passes on to workers instructions received from the supervisor, demonstrates proper work methods, and starts work. Insures that needed plans, blueprints, material, and tools are available, and that needed stock is obtained from supply locations .b. Assures that there is enough work to keep the work crew busy. Checks work in progress and when finished for compliance with supervisor’s instructions, work orders, and established shop procedures on work sequence, procedures, methods and deadlines; and directs or advises other workers to follow supervisor’s instructions and to meet deadlines.
(2) Non-Supervisory Duties :a. Troubleshoots, performs maintenance and major repairs on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles. This may include self-propelled artillery, tracked cargo and personnel carriers, road graders, mobile cranes, front loaders, conveyors, bulldozers, power shovels, compressors, generators, tanks, tracked combat vehicles, sedans, buses, all-terrain vehicles, trucks, semi-trailers, forklifts, tractors, and accessory equipment. Incumbent troubleshoots repairs and may overhaul major systems to include internal combustion engines, turbine engines, automatic and non-automatic transmissions, heavy duty drive line systems, and hydraulic utility systems and controls
.b. Troubleshoots equipment and diagnoses the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses test equipment such as engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, pressure gauges, and computer diagnostic tools. Utilizes embedded diagnostics in equipment and a wide variety of original equipment manufacturer system analyzers in order to determine the exact nature or extent of repair.
c. Removes and disassembles engines and major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, and fuel, hydraulic, and oil pressure systems. Makes the appropriate repairs, overhaul, or modifications in accordance with the proper repair specifications and procedures. Reassembles engines and other systems, and adjusts, tests, and reinstalls in vehicles and equipment as necessary.
(3) Performs other duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state’s National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
WHO CAN APPLY:
GROUP I – All qualified Male/Female Enlisted Personnel (E-1/PVT – E-7/SFC), currently employed (permanent) in the Virginia Army National Guard Military Technician Program.
GROUP II – All qualified Virginia Army National Guard Male/Female Enlisted Personnel (E-1/PVT – E-7/SFC), regardless of employment status (Traditional, Military Technician or AGR). To be considered as a Group II applicant, proof of appointment/enlistment in the Virginia National Guard must be attached if the appointment/enlistment occurred within 60 days prior to, or during, the advertisement period.
Military Grades: Enlisted Personnel (E-1/PVT – E-7/SFC)
GENERAL EXPERIENCE : Applicant must have experience or training which demonstrates knowledge of equipment to be able to do routine jobs, simple preventative maintenance tasks, and the ability to lead other technicians in these tasks.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE : Applicant must have at least 24 months of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the WL-09 level, or equivalent pay band in other pay systems in the Federal government. This experience may also have been obtained in the private sector, but must demonstrate that it is comparable to the WL grade indicated. This experience must include activities such as:
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency ( https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx ).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents: Most recent SF50 for current Federal Technicians